Tom and I love appies. We celebrate visits with my parents with appies. One of our favourite condiments with cheese and crackers is wine jelly. I had a fear of preserving, but a good friend shared her wine jelly recipe and spent the time to teach me how to make this family favourite. It was a great afternoon spent together and Tom and I continue to enjoy the fruits from our time together when we share appies. Enjoy!
You will need:
• 16 small mason jars with lids sterilized and ready just before you begin making the jelly
• double boiler
• canning tongs
• canning magnet
• cookie sheet
• large dutch oven
• 2 c wine (any wine! We have made it with fruit wine, white wine, red wine, port and they are all delicious!)
• 3 c sugar
• 1 pouch of Certo
1. Combine the sugar and wine in a double boiler. Bring the double boiler to a gentle boil and then continue to allow boil for about 5-10 minutes until the sugar and wine mixture is clear. Stirring occasionally.
2. While waiting for the sugar and wine mixture to clear begin the water bath in the dutch oven. You need enough water to hit just below the top of the mason jar.
3. Remove from the wine and sugar mix from the heat and immediately stir in the Certo.
4. Pour the mixture into the jars using a wide mouth funnel
5. Process the filled jars in a water bath in the dutch oven for 5-10 minutes.